Here’s how you make a giant smoke blaster so you can entertain your kids or your students!
The On-Field Demonstration
We’ve had the fun of going onto the field at White Sox Weather Day and demonstrating a giant air blaster that shoots out awesome smoke rings.This is the concept that allows planes to fly and rivers to have those cool ripples running through them. The best part- is that you can make a giant smoke blaster at home!
- I used stevespanglerscience.com to learn how to make an air blaster and here’s what I did:
- Get a giant garbage can, a drill bit to carve a circular hole in the bottom of the can (or borrow from a handy neighbor), bungee cord, and a clear shower curtain. That’s all you need. Oh wait—- you also need a fog machine! You can buy one pretty cheap and you need fog liquid. This will be a good investment…. Kids love this demo and you don’t have to do it only to talk about weather. Halloween is a great time to bust out some scary smoke rings too… And why not Valentine’s Day? Maybe you can do heart-shaped smoke rings- there’s a STEM challenge for you!
- Once you have your blaster set up, all you need to do is fill it with fog, stand away from your target, aim and slam the shower curtain. It takes about 5 practice hits to know what direction you’ll see the best rings- and if you’re outside you need to determine which way favors the rings based on the wind.
- Let the kids try it; just have them stand back from the blaster…. They always end up right on top of it for some reason!
- Here’s a fog machine that would be great: http://amzn.to/2pSJtAw
Let me know how it goes in the comments below!